Thursday, March 3, 2022

Queer Drunk Punk (Zehava Frieman) - Interview




*Note: contains content from the book, but shouldn't be considered as spoilers. 

Purchase your copy of Queer Drunk Punk here !

Queer Drunk Punk
Zehava Frieman

This book was one that gave me a "book hangover"! Frieman really knows how to capture an audience despite this being her debut to the world and her having felt a little nervous about it. I enjoyed interviewing her and seeing her thinking process quite a bit! 

Per my review: I adored everything about Quinn. I resonated with the inner growth she had to endure, the many losses she faced, and the way that she constantly went after what she wanted even when it was like pulling teeth. I was present in every scene, rarely thinking of what was to come, and played the "just one more chapter... yeah right" game (finished in one day). 

This work has all the makings for an "un-put-downable book": love, loss, heartache, recovery, grief, endurance, joy, and resilience. It isn't just about being queer in the 80's, but also is about a woman coming of age in a tough world (something many of us can relate to.) Five stars out of five, yall!

1. What was your inspiration to write QDP?

QDP began as a memoir, but while I was driving, Quinn (MC) took over. This girl was in my head every day for 9 months! She jumpstarted this project and helped me to get back into writing. 

2. Has writing always been your passion?

Yes, but life took over. I wanted to get back into it. As a kid, I had all these fake meetings with all these huge celebrity bands and loved writing stories. Again, life took over, but then Quinn, my muse and "alter-ego" entered the picture. I lived vicariously through her since I never got to really interview these people. I also used my love for writing as inspiration for Quinn's writing career both in high school and after.

3. What did you feel while writing this?

It was sort of therapeutic for me. I really lived through Quinn and enjoyed the process.

4. What do you want readers to take away from QDP?

I'd like them to feel surprised (in a good way) and not feel like it's too predictable. I want them to know they can make whatever they're going through against all odds, that they can achieve their dreams like Quinn did, and to learn how to be true to themselves as she did. I also want them to be inspired to be true to themselves and to be sure to surround themselves with other authentic people to be the best they can be.

5. Any plans for future works?

Yes! The next book should be out within a year or so. It will take place in '93 and Ashley from QDP will be the MC this time.

6. Advice for new writers?

Learn to self-edit, that not everything is a good idea, that your story will grow and evolve over time (what you begin with may be totally opposite than what you end with), and to be sure you create a community of honest people during this process. Mentors were a big thing for me and I think helped the most, probably. Don't forget to exploit your resources like Googling, traveling to locations to get the layout of the land, and talking to others. I read a lot about writing and I feel that helped, too. I'd encourage other writers to do similar.

7. What have you learned during the process of writing this?

To stay true to myself, to be willing to learn and research, and to also be willing to grow.

8. Favorite character and why?

Quinn. She's my muse, my "alter-ego" as my sister says, and I lived vicariously through her in a lot of ways. She experiences some similar things to what I did, but she also did things I never did. She's definitely got a special place in my heart!

9. What were the purposes for both Missy and Debby? 

Both were there to be lessons. Missy was a toxic person and was the epitome of the 80's girl in high school like in Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club. She was needed to help Quinn come into herself and grow.

Debby has another spot in my heart and was there to show Quinn how to love and be loved. She was also there to help her grow as a person, especially since she'd been through so much. Debby was to Quinn what Quinn was to me: a muse and inspiration to be the best she could.

Ricky was also there for a lesson and encouragement.

10. Who has inspired you while writing this book?

My mentors, Scott Parisien and Megan Kruse. They really taught me a lot about character development, setting scenes, and making sure I stay on point.


If you'd like to contact Zehava Frieman for more questions or to learn more about her thinking while writing Queer Drunk Punk, send me an email (wordynerdreviews@gmail.com) with her name as the header. You can also follow her on Goodreads (include link) and Amazon (include link). Be on the lookout for her next book in the next year!

Thank you, Zehava, for taking the time out of your day to amuse an enamored reader and deal with my nerding out over your work! I also appreciate you dealing with my communication during the reading and for being so open with any question I had!


Click here to read Nerdy Words Reviews review of Queer Drunk Punk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Finalists (David Bell)

  The Finalists David Bell ⭐: 4/5 Pros: great plot idea, loved the historical background, loved the diverse characters. I kind of had a feel...