Thursday, January 12, 2023

Brazen (Julia Haart)


 Brazen
Julia Haart
⭐: 5/5

Where to begin with this review? 

Pros: Though I've never had to escape an ultra religious lifestyle, nor am I into fashion, I still saw myself in so many ways in Brazen.

Julia is not only stubborn and driven, but focused and funny. She's headstrong and isn't afraid to challenge the norm - something I found myself relating to. It was such a sense of... camaraderie... To be able to do so. 

For those of us who have left worlds full of indoctrination and conservative upbringings, riding the coattails of our ancestors, and then who have found ourselves in a brand new setting exactly opposite of what we knew our whole lives... Julia is the example we've created inside ourselves but who has told her story to the world. Like Julia, I also left on my own. Well, I had my faithful Shih Tzu and best friend in tow, but still! It was her and me against the world: two small town girls headed for the big city.

I also adored how she essentially had "imposter syndrome", something I, too, struggled with when going into my dream career I never thought I'd accomplish. I knew I wasn't alone, but seeing someone else be as fierce, bold, and focused was inspiring.

I don't say this often, but I would LOVE to meet and have a drink with this woman! Her audacity and love for life and authenticity is contagious and something I relate to endlessly! I also have traumas of my own, as well as can relate to family estrangement. 

Cons: So, all my reviews are p/c format. The only "con" I can think of is that if you're not the type to question, you shouldn't read this. 

Conclusion: If you ARE the type to question and think for yourself, you will love this book! Julia, if you see this... I would LOVE to chat if possible! I absolutely will be adding this to my personal library after listening to it via the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Finalists (David Bell)

  The Finalists David Bell ⭐: 4/5 Pros: great plot idea, loved the historical background, loved the diverse characters. I kind of had a feel...