Monday, February 28, 2022

The Perfect Place to Die (Bryce Moore) - Review





The Perfect Place to Die
Bryce Moore
⭐: 3/5

This one has me on the fence. On the one hand, anything H.H. Holmes fascinates me, but on the other, the plot itself didn't have me playing the famous "just one more chapter" game. I hardly thought about it between reading sessions, even.

Pros: this book is fairly well written, the plot is centered around Holmes and the World's Fair, and it was nice to read some historical fiction about it finally! All I've been able to find are fiction or documentary reads, so I welcomed this one. I appreciated the MC's resilience and growth, though. That was nicely executed. There are also excerpts at the start of every chapter written by Holmes himself. I absolutely loved those.

Cons: maybe it was the mood I was in, but it felt a little predictable overall. I also felt like the MC did a lot more thinking and calculating than anything and it felt drug out. I understand some investigations in real life could take a while, but I skimmed over these thinking parts the last 40% of the book. By 50% in, I was ready to have an answer already.

Conclusion : if you're interested in historical fiction based on the content above, as well as a not so quite murder mystery but still one with intriguing details in The Castle, this book could be for you. Just be aware that it can feel a little repetitive and like a slow burn at times. The ending is also pretty predictable, which is fine if that's your thing, but I was hoping for something a little less easy to see coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Finalists (David Bell)

  The Finalists David Bell ⭐: 4/5 Pros: great plot idea, loved the historical background, loved the diverse characters. I kind of had a feel...